A crisp salad with deliciously crispy chicken and a dressing that’s full of big flavours. Deseed the chilli for a milder spice hit.
A spicy salad with beautifully crisp chicken - perfect for a warming supper that's not too heavy after the indulgence of Christmas and the New Year.
- 2 Chicken Legs
- Half a iceberg or Chinese leaf lettuce - shredded
- Half a cucumber - seeds removed and sliced
- 6 spring onions - sliced
- Half a red pepper - thinly sliced
- Handful of cashew nuts
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 red chilli (deseeded if required)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 clove of garlic
- Thumb-size piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- Season the chicken legs on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken legs into a non-stick frying pan over a low to medium heat.
- Place a piece of greaseproof paper over the chicken legs, tucking down the edges around the chicken, inside the pan.
- Place a couple of plates on top of the chicken and weigh down with some jars or tins. This helps give the chicken a crispy skin.
- The chicken will take about 25 minutes to cook - turn halfway through and check it's cooked through before serving.
- Whilst the chicken's cooking prepare the salad:
- Combine all the salad ingredients apart from the cashews together in a large bowl.
- If you have a small food processor or blender place all the salad dressing ingredients together and blitz until smooth. If you don't then mince the garlic and grate the ginger by hand before combining all of the ingredients.
- When the chicken is cooked remove from the pan and gently fry the cashews for a few minutes in the chicken juices.
- Combine the salad ingredients well with the dressing before serving in bowls with the chicken and a sprinkling of cashews.