Enjoy this fantastically easy, warming soup. You’ll need a large stock pot for this recipe but feel free to halve the quantities for fewer servings.
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
A warming, hearty soup that's perfect for the winter months.
- Don't worry about varying the ingredients if you don't have everything listed - as long as you have butternut squash and stock you'll end up with a tasty soup! The paprika gives a lovely smoky flavour but can be omitted if you don't have it to hand.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 red chilli, chopped (increase, decrease or remove if required)
- 2 butternut squash - peeled and roughly diced to 1 inch cubes
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- A teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Half a teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 4 pints of vegetable or chicken stock (we used Marigold vegetable bouillon powder)
- Gently heat the oil in a large stock pot, add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and chilli and gently fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add a the paprika and cumin seeds and continue to gently fry for a further minute.
- Add the butternut squash, carrots and potato and stir thoroughly before adding the stock.
- Bring to the simmer and cook for 30 to 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before blitzing with a hand blender until smooth.
- Have a taste to check the seasoning - pepper can be added as required when serving.
- The soup can be kept for three days in the fridge or frozen if required. For extra indulgence add a swirl of cream when serving. For an extra kick drizzle with chilli oil.
Other recipes available at www.1066times.com